In certain odd events, when you connect your printer with your Windows or Mac device and what you is that both fail to communicate with each other. Although there could be a problem with one of the connected ends that is causing the communication issue, but knowing the right reason is necessary.
However, this article is specific to Macintosh devices but you may use certain similar troubleshooting steps on your Windows as well. First, we shall try to know the cause of the problem, and then we will discuss the troubleshooting steps. Here are the reasons why your device is unable to communicate with the printer.
Why won’t my mac connect to my wireless HP printer?
Well, there could be umpteen numbers of reasons for this, but I have mentioned the most probable ones below:
- On/Off mode- there are chances that you have forgotten to turn on your printing machine. If it is in ‘On’ mode but still unable to communicate with your Mac, then it could any other problem.
- Problem with the cords- you might feel that the cords are properly connected but why you are facing the problem. However, there could be a problem with it as well and you might know about it. Thus, do the necessary inspection for the same.
- Incompatible toners- if you install incompatible ink cartridges in your printer, then there is a possibility that your printer might not give the desired result.
- The issue with the printer drivers- the printer drivers you have installed on your system might not be compatible or have become outdated.
- Software update- if your device has undergone a recent update, then there is a possibility that it has undergone the changes in the printer’s configuration leading to the communication issue.
Troubleshoot printer communication issues on Mac
This troubleshooting method will let you know if your printer is listed in the printer’s list of your Mac so that you can take the necessary steps later on:
- To check if your printer is listed or not, click on the menu of your Apple device.
- After that, click on the ‘System Preferences’ option.
- Now, click on Print & Fax/ Print & Scan/ Printers & Scanners.
- In the list, check if the name of your printer is listed there or not.
If you see that your printer is listed:
You need to remove and then add your printer again. For this:
- Click on the name of your printer from the list.
- Then, click on the (-) against your printer to remove it.
- When it is removed, click on the (+) sign to add it again.
- Then, select ‘Add Printer or Scanner’.
- Further, choose your printer and then go to the next step.
If you don’t see your printer in the list:
In case such a situation arises, then it is necessary for you to ensure that your printer is connected with your device through the USB cable. Also, you need to ensure that both devices are connected to the same wireless network. Try to add your printer in the Printer’s list and try again later. Ensure that your printer is selected in the ‘Use’ menu. If not, then select ‘Add’ to add it again.
Another way to troubleshoot the issue
If your device is still unable to communicate with the printer, then you might need to reinstall the printer drivers.
To reinstall the printer drivers:
- Go to the official website of the HP Printer.
- Then, select your printer and its model number.
- After that, you need to click on the ‘Install’ option.
- This will download the compatible printer drivers on your device.
- Make sure to restart your device once the installation completes.
If you are still facing the printer communication issues, then you must seek urgent help from hp printer support executives.